Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Peirre,South Dakota

We left Bismarck about 08:15 this am heading for Pierre SD. Ron has been driving first and I drive second, since I am map reading impaired he can direct me to where we are staying. About 5 minutes into my turn to drive we saw a sign that said " road work ahead" The next 15 miles of road was like driving on a worn out wash board-going over 20 MPH was impossible.

 We made it through that and we were going into Pierre and a sign said "height of bridge is 11'3" and we need more than that. I pulled into a large parking lot, Ron asked for alternate directions from a man that was mowing his lawn. The rig was too big to pull out and make the turn from one way so I started out another way..Bad choice-the parking lot was much higher than the road and I started to scrape bottom, so I figured I couldn't make the turn on an angle and there was a car in my way to make the turn. You guessed it, we were completely blocking the road. We made the decision to take the car off...no can do..it was torqued. Ron went to the door, and asked the lady if she could move her car so I could finish the turn. In the meantime, I am directing traffic to not come toward me-they needed to find a different route. The lady finally came out and said that it was her daughters car and she worked the night shift-she had to wake her daughter to get the keys...We were finally on our way. The rest of the trip was without incident. (thank goodness)

Ron with his sunglasses off and me with mine on
Last year the city of Pierre had one of the damns on the Missouri let out too much water and destroyed the 2 golf courses that were in town. We found out the name of 1 that was about 15-20 from town. It was a  Links course-it was a beautiful course, but we teed off at 15:05-and 80 degrees-But, we golfed our round in South Dakota and tomorrow we see the capital and a museum.

Me and Ron with our sunglasses off

No comments:

Post a Comment